Dr Marika Karanassou
Research keywords: Macroeconomics, Political Economy, Econometrics and Quantitative Methods.
Marika Karanassou is a Reader in Economics at Queen Mary University of London, specialising in macroeconomic analysis.
Her research focuses on dynamic macro-labour models with spill over effects, the evaluation of the inflation-unemployment trade off, and the identification of the factors which jointly drive these central macro variables. The theoretical and empirical models of her work draw a new line of research and her results challenge the macroeconomic consensus on two major fronts: (i) the interplay of dynamics and growth in labour market models questions the prevailing wisdom of the natural rate of unemployment, and (ii) the existence of a downward-sloping Phillips curve points against the classical dichotomy doctrine.
She also writes about the current state of the crisis-prone market economy in "Warrant Economics, Call-Put Policy Options and the Fallacies of Economic Theory". She further examines the Eurozone’s malaise under the institutional Call-Put Options prism.
Marika is a Research Fellow at IZA, Bonn, and a member of the Higher Education Academy. She received her PhD in economics from Birkbeck College, University of London, and her BSc from the Athens University of Economics and Business.
COMPLETED PAPERS, PUBLISHED AND UNDER REVIEW
- Hatgioannides J., Karanasos M., Karanassou M., Koutroumpis P., Sala H. (2017) "The Greek Dra(ch)ma: 5 Years of Austerity. The Three Economists’ View and A Comment [PDF 206KB]", Forthcoming Book Chapter In: Bournakis I., Christopoulos D.K., Tsoukis C. (Eds.), "Greece in the Maelstrom: On the Political Economy of the Crisis". Palgrave Macmillan.
- Hatgioannides J., Karanasos M., Karanassou M., Koutroumpis P., Sala H. (2017) "The Legacy of a Fractured Eurozone [PDF 47KB]", Under review in Geoforum.
- Hatgioannides J., Karanassou M., Sala H. (2017) "Eurozone: A Neoliberal Project of Flawed Economics [PDF 1,066KB]", Under review in Journal of Economic Issues.
- Hatgioannides J., Karanassou M., Sala H. (2017) "Should the Rich be Taxed More? The Fiscal Inequality Coefficient [PDF 252KB]", Under Review in The Review of Income and Wealth. IZA Discussion Paper 10978.
- Karanassou M., Sala H. (2017) "Distributional Consequences of Capital Accumulation, Globalisation and Financialisation in the US [PDF 417KB]", Revise and Resubmit, Cambridge Journal of Economics.
- Bande R., Karanassou M., Sala H. (2017) "Employment in Spanish Regions: Cost Control of Growth-Enhancing Policies? [PDF 420KB], Pending Submission.
- Hatgioannides J., Karanassou M. (2014) "Warrant Economics, Call-Put Policy Options and the Great Recession [PDF 480KB]", Review of Political Economy.
- Bande R., Karanassou M. (2013) "Spanish Regional Unemployment Revisited: The Role of Capital Accumulation", Regional Studies, DOI: 10.1080/00343404.2013.779657.
- Karanassou M., Sala H. (2012) "Inequalities and Employment Sensitivities to the Falling Labour Share", The Economic and Social Review, 43, 343-376.
- Karanassou M., Sala H., Snower DJ. (2010) "Phillips Curves and Unemployment Dynamics: A Critique and a Holistic Perspective", Journal of Economic Surveys, 24, 1-51.
- Karanassou M., Sala H., Salvador PF. (2008) "Capital Accumulation and Unemployment: New Insights on the Nordic Experience", Cambridge Journal of Economics, 32, 977-1001.
WORK IN PROGRESS
- Hatgioannides J., Karanassou M., Sala H. (2017) "Is Stagnation Looming? New Evidence for the G7 Economies".
- Hatgioannides J., Karanassou M. (2017) "Parallel Currency: History, Politics and a new Eurozone Twist".
Dr Karanassou work on the effects of the tax system on income inequality was featured in the Guardian.