Research in the Applied Micro group spans a number of areas, from labour economics to health economics, political economy and economic development. Studies in this area have addressed central issues in labour economics, examining the impact of migration, welfare systems, and development policies. Other work relates to a wide variety of applied topics, including education, health, crime, the media, and voting behaviour.
Research from group members has been published in leading economic journals including the American Economic Review; Journal of Political Economy; Journal of Economic Perspectives; Annual Review of Economics; Journal of European Economic Association; Review of Economics and Statistics; American Economic Journal: Applied, Economic Policy, Marco; Economic Journal; Journal of Public Economics; Journal of Development Economics. This research has also attracted considerable media attention and has been featured in a number of international media outlets, including the Economist, Financial Times, Slate, Le Monde, The Lancet, Al Jazeera, The Guardian, The Times and The Wall Street Journal.
A number of members are recipients of grants from international research bodies such as the ESRC, the Nuffield Foundation, and the IADB, among others. Members also hold editorial positions in journals like at the Economic Journal and Labour Economics and hold prominent positions in the CEPR (Barbaba Petrongolo - Director of the Labour group).
The group has an extremely vibrant atmosphere with a number of joint research projects, weekly seminars and reading groups attended by both faculty and PhD students, 11 of which are currently studying under the supervision of members of the group.
- Caselli F., Tesei A. (2018) Resource Windfalls, Political Regimes, and Political Stability, Review of Economics and Statistics
- Cornaglia F., Lekfuangfu WN., Warrinnier N., Powdthavee N. (2018) Locus of control and its intergenerational implications for early childhood skill formation, Economic Journal
- Cornelissen T., Dustmann C., Raute A., Schonberg U. (2018) Who benefits from universal childcare? Estimating marginal returns to early childcare attendance, Journal of Political Economy
- Dustmann C., Fasani F., Speciale B. (2017) Illegal migration and consumption behavior of immigrant households, Journal of European Economic Association
- Fasani F., Frattini T., Devillanova C. (2017) Employment of Undocumented Immigrants and the Prospect of Legal Status: Evidence from an Amnesty Program, Industrial and Labor Relations Review
- Manning A., Petrongolo B. (2017) How local are labor markets? Evidence from a spatial job search model, American Economic Review
- Ngai R., Petrongolo B. (2017) Gender gaps and the rise of the service economy, American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics
- Olivetti C., Petrongolo B. (2017) The Economic Consequences of Family Policies. Drawing Lessons from a Century of Legislation Across OECD Countries, Journal of Economic Perspectives
- Amarante V., Manacorda M., Miguel E., Vigorito A. (2016) Do Cash Transfers Improve Birth Outcomes? Evidence from Matched Vital Statistics, Social Security and Program Data, American Economic Journal: Economic Policy
- Axbard S. (2016) Income Opportunities and Sea Piracy in Indonesia, American Economic Journal: Applied Economics
- Cornelissen T., Dustmann C., Raute A., Schönberg U. (2016) From LATE to MTE: Alternative Methods for the Evaluation of Policy Interventions, Journal of Labour Economics
- Dustmann C., Fasani F. (2016) The Effect of Local Area Crime on Mental Health, Economic Journal
- Koppensteiner M., Manacorda M. (2016) Violence and birth outcomes: Evidence from homicides in Brazil, Journal of Development Economics
- Olivetti C., Petrongolo B. (2016) The evolution of the gender gap in industrialized countries, Annual Review of Economics
- Clark A., Cornaglia F., Layard R., Powdthavee N., Vernoit J. (2014) What predicts a successful life? A Life-Course model of well-being., Economic Journal
- Cornaglia F., Feldman N., Leigh A. (2014) Crime and Mental Wellbeing, Journal of Human Resources
- Goux D., Maurin E., Petrongolo B. (2014) Worktime Regulations And Spousal Labor Supply, American Economic Review
- Olivetti C., Petrongolo B. (2014) Gender Gaps Across Countries And Skills: Supply, Demand And The Industry Structure, Review of Economic Dynamics
- Adda J., Cornaglia F. (2013) Taxes, Cigarette Consumption, and Smoking Intensity: Reply, American Economic Review
- Bell B., Fasani F., Machin S. (2013) Crime and Immigration: Evidence from Large Immigrant Waves in the UK, Review of Economics and Statistics
- Farré L., Fasani F. (2013) Media Exposure and Internal Migration: Evidence from Indonesia, Journal of Development Economics
- Bruckner M., Ciccone A., Tesei A. (2012) Oil Price Shocks, Income, And Democracy, Review of Economics and Statistics
- Kondylis F., Manacorda M. (2012) School Proximity and Child Labor: Evidence from Rural Tanzania, Journal of Human Resources
- Manacorda M. (2012) The Cost Of Grade Retention, Review of Economics and Statistics
- Manacorda M., Manning A., Wadsworth J. (2012) The Impact Of Immigration On The Structure Of Wages: Theory And Evidence From Britain, Journal of European Economic Association
- Manacorda M., Miguel E., Vigorito A. (2011) Government Transfers And Political Support, American Economic Journal: Applied Economics
- Adda J., Cornaglia F. (2010) The effect of Bans and Taxes on Passive Smoking, American Economic Journal: Applied Economics
- Bosch M., Manacorda M. (2010) Minimum Wages and Earnings inequality in urban Mexico, American Economic Journal: Applied Economics
- Manacorda M., Sánchez-Páramo C., Schady N. (2010) Changes in Returns to Education in Latin America: The Role of Demand and Supply of Skills, Industrial and Labor Relations Review