The School of Economics and Finance is recognised as one of the UK’s top economics departments.
- In the most recent Research Assessment Exercise we were ranked among the top six Economics Schools in the country for our research quality
- Our NSS (National Student Survey) and PTES (Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey) scores have consistently shown excellent levels of student satisfaction, confirming our leading position among University of London Economics Schools.
- We are conveniently located near London’s main financial districts, and have close links with the City and the Bank of England.
Our staff and teaching:
- Our faculty members are distinguished research economists and recognised experts in their fields, who publish in the profession's most influential journals and advise major institutions such as the World Bank and the Bank of England.
- Our staff have a well-established reputation for providing high quality teaching, with invaluable contributions from respected City practitioners and industry experts who also teach students, bringing practical insights in to the classroom by applying the theory to real world scenarios.
- We have close links with some of the top names in finance and banking from the Bank of England, The HM Treasury, Goldman Sachs, Liquid Capital Markets, Nomura, Aviva Investors and Interactive Brokers.
- We offer an unparalleled set of optional additional modules designed to equip students with further practical training and key technical skills that will improve their employability prospects
- The School is affiliated with the CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) UK and the CISI (Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment). Students are able to benefit from professional accreditations, further training, and exam exemptions.
- We are pleased to offer a number of merit- based scholarships for 2013.
Employability & Careers
- We have a high rate of employment of our students within 6 months of graduation.
- We offer a fully integrated Careers programme that helps students to achieve their career objectives.
- Former students have carved out successful careers in a variety of environments including: financial and academic institutions, the civil service and industry.
- First destinations of our graduates include employment and/or research at: the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the Bank of England, European Central Bank, the World Bank, the European Commission, CFA, NYSE-Euronext, JS Bank and ING Wholesale. Other former students work in the City of London in firms such as Barclays, HSBC, Deloitte, Ernst & Young and Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Lloyds, UBS, HSBC, KPMG, Accenture and PWC.
The School offers excellent resources to its postgraduate students.
- Two computer labs for the exclusive use of economics students.
- Designated trading room with access to Reuters and Bloomberg terminals to give students access to the latest technology and financial software used in the banking and finance industry.
- Use of major statistical databases and software packages such as those used by economists in finance or in government for data analysis and simulation
- Option to join the various our Economics, Trading and Investment societies to gain further practical skills and experience.
- Attendance to a varied programme of guest speaker lectures.
Environment and Atmosphere
- We offer students a stimulating, supportive and high quality learning experience and friendly environment in which to study Economics and Finance.
- We are a young, friendly and international School, with staff and students from all over the world.The international diversity of both faculty and students is a key ingredient of our success.