We have experienced high demand from students wishing to join the School of Economics and Finance in September 2018 and now only have a small number of places available. We have therefore decided to introduce an application deadline of 31 July 2018 (midnight). You are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. We will give equal consideration to all applications received by the deadline. We may extend the deadline if places remain available but late applications will be considered at the discretion of the Academic Selector
The MSc in Investment Banking is designed to equip you with important skills in the key areas of investment banking and financial investment. The programme teaches you how to value firms and understand their financial needs, the legal background to investment banking transactions and the leadership and negotiation skills required to operate with investment banking clients.
Unique features of the MSc in Investment Banking are:
- This degree provides a focus on pure investment banking including mergers and acquisitions, security issuance and corporate finance advisory.
- The programme has been designed in conjunction with our investment banking advisory panel to cover the key skills required in the investment banking industry.
- Suitable for students with limited or no quantitative background – though a willingness to take on numerical challenges is required.
As with all of our MSc programmes, MSc Investment Banking offers:
- Invaluable contributions from respected City of London practitioners and industry experts who also teach students, bringing practical insights in to the classroom by applying the theory to real world scenarios.
- A fully integrated careers programme including a dedicated careers consultant and internships co-ordinator, plus extensive industry links that aim to maximise your employment prospects.
- An unparalleled set of optional short courses designed to equip you with further practical training and key technical skills that are highly valued in the Financial Sector.
- State-of-the-art facilities such as a virtual trading floor which provides exclusive access to the latest technology and financial software used in the banking and finance industry, and access to specialised financial and economic databases and software used by economists in finance or in government.
- The opportunity to join Queen Mary University of London MSc Investment Fund (QUMMIF) – one of the only investment clubs of its kind in London, which allows students to trade real money (currently £30,000) in order to obtain relevant, practical work experience in trading and portfolio analysis.
If you are a prospective student or a current applicant and your query is related to admission, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a current student or your query is non-admissions related, please email Sarah Riley (email@example.com).
Tel: +44 (0)20 7882 8848
The MSc in Banking and Finance is available to study one-year full-time.
You will take five compulsory modules in the first semester then one compulsory module, plus three electives in the second semester.
There will be pre-sessional courses designed for students with limited experience in Excel.
|Semester A||Semester B||Post-Semester B|
|Primary Marketing and Securities||8,000 word dissertation|
|Investment Banking Law||3 electives|
|Strategy, Leadership and Management of Investment Banks|
|Financial Modelling in Excel|
- Advanced Asset Pricing and Modelling
- Alternative Investments
- Applied Risk Management
- Asset Management
- Banking Regulations
- Bond Market Strategies
- Cases in Business Finance
- Credit Rating
- Financial Derivatives
- Risk Management for Banking
- International Finance
- Topics in Financial Econometrics
- Valuation and Private Equity
- Systematic Trading Strategies
- Strategic Asset Allocation
- Portfolio Construction Theory
- Applied Wealth Management
*subject to change
Undergraduate Degree - At the minimum a 2:1 or overseas equivalent is required. (A good performance in a higher degree such as a Masters will also be accepted)
Degree Discipline - Any degree discipline is acceptable, with or without quantitative background. A willingness to take on some quantitative challenges (such as spreadsheet calculations) is required.
Work experience and professional qualifications - Weight will be given to relevant work experience and professional qualifications but neither is necessary to be accepted onto this course.
English Language - Students whose first degree is not taught in an English-speaking country must provide evidence of English language proficiency. 6.5 IELTS overall and 6.0 in Writing or equivalent is the minimum required. Click here for further information.
Other aspects of your application - All aspects of your application will be taken into consideration so our decision to make you an offer is not exclusively based on the criteria above.
Learning and teaching
As a student at Queen Mary, you will play an active part in your acquisition of skills and knowledge. Teaching is by a mixture of formal lectures and group seminars. The seminars are designed to generate informed discussion around set topics, and may involve student presentations, group exercise and open discussions. We take pride in the close and friendly working relationship we have with our students.
For every hour spent in formal classes you will be expected to complete further hours of independent study. Your individual study time could be spent preparing for, or following up on formal study sessions; reading; producing written work; completing projects; and revising for examinations.
The direction of your individual study will be guided by the formal study sessions you attend, along with your reading lists and assignments. However, we expect you to demonstrate an active role in your own learning by reading widely and expanding your own knowledge, understanding and critical ability.
Independent study will foster in you the ability to identify your own learning needs and determine which areas you need to focus on to become proficient in your subject area. This is an important transferable skill and will help to prepare you for the transition to working life.
The grade for each module is assessed through coursework, along with a written exam in May for each course unit.
Non-Assessed Optional Courses:
We offer a wide range of optional courses that do not contribute to your overall MSc grade but are designed to broaden your skills and enhance your CV. These range from programming skills courses (e.g. C++, VBA) to trading techniques courses (e.g. the financial trading programme, Bloomberg, technical analysis). For further information click here.
Tuition fees for Home and EU students
2018/19 Academic Year
Full time £18,050
Full time (CFA Pathway) £19,050
Tuition fees for International students
2018/19 Academic Year
Full time £21,500
Full time (CFA Pathway) £22,500
There are a number of sources of funding available for Masters students.
These include a significant package of competitive Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) bursaries and scholarships in a range of subject areas, as well as external sources of funding.
Queen Mary bursaries and scholarships
We offer a range of bursaries and scholarships for Masters students including competitive scholarships, bursaries and awards, some of which are for applicants studying specific subjects.
Find out more about QMUL bursaries and scholarships.
Alternative sources of funding
Home/EU students can apply for a range of other funding, such as Professional and Career Development Loans, and Employer Sponsorship, depending on their circumstances and the specific programme of study.
Overseas students may be eligible to apply for a range of external scholarships and we also provide information about relevant funding providers in your home country on our country web pages.
Download our Postgraduate Funding Guide for detailed information about postgraduate funding options for Home/EU students.
Tel: +44 (0)20 7882 5079
Other financial help on offer at Queen Mary
We offer one to one specialist support on all financial and welfare issues through our Advice and Counselling Service, which you can access as soon as you have applied for a place at Queen Mary.
Our Advice and Counselling Service also has lots of Student Advice Guides on all aspects of finance including:
Tel: +44 (0)20 7882 8717
The MSc in Investment banking will prepare you for a range of careers in the financial sector with a focus on investing banking functions. As well as a role in investment banking the course is suitable for a range of careers in the financial sector including equity analyst, a corporate finance function in a large firm and an analyst in a hedge fund.