We are pleased that you have carefully selected to come and study with us, and are delighted to welcome you as a new student at School of Economics and Finance, Queen Mary University of London. Outlined below is important information about programmes and induction.
|Induction & Pre-sessional Weeks||17th September - 28th September|
|Semester 1||1st October - 14th December|
|Reading Week (No Teaching)||5th November - 9th November|
|Semester 2||7th January - 29th March|
|Reading Week (No Teaching)||18th February - 22nd February|
Revision Week - 23rd April - 26th April
Examination Period - 29th April - 7th June
Please refer to your individual programme page for information on the structure of modules you will undertake during the academic year.
For each module you can expect to receive 3hrs of contact time each week, either in the form of a 2hr lecture and 1hr tutorial, or a 3hr teaching block. Your programme diet will include four modules each semester. Lecture and tutorials are scheduled Monday through to Friday, and may take place during evenings. No compulsory modules will be scheduled at weekends, however, where there is no alternative, some Semester B elective modules may be scheduled on Saturday.
The MSc programmes involve self-study outside of your lectures and tutorials, such as working in the library and having informal discussions with other students. Overall, you should plan on lectures, tutorials and independent study taking up at least 35-40 hours a week.
View the sample MSc teaching timetable. This is just an overview of how your weeks may be scheduled in Semester A and B although this cannot be guaranteed. There will be some elective Semester B modules on a Saturday.
|Module Code||Module Name||Location||Day||Start||End|
|ECOM00A||Module 1||Maths: MLT (144)||Wednesday||12:00||14:00|
|ECOM00B||Module 2||Bancroft: Mason LT (294)||Tuesday||19:00||21:00|
|ECOM00C||Module 3||WCH, Blizard: Perrin LT (418)||Wednesday||19:00||21:00|
|ECOM00D||Module 4||Maths: MLT (144)||Tuesday||16:00||18:00|
|ECOM00E||Module 5||Bancroft: Mason LT (294)||Wednesday||15:00||16:00|
|ECOM00A||Module 1||Bancroft: 3.26 (67)||Friday||10:00||11:00|
|ECOM00B||Module 2||Eng: 2.07 (48)||Friday||13:00||14:00|
|ECOM00C||Module 3||PP: PP2 (105)||Thursday||09:00||10:00|
|ECOM00D||Module 4||PP: PP2 (105)||Tuesday||14:00||15:00|
|ECOM00E||Module 5||Bancroft: 1.23 (73) - PC Lab||Tuesday||10:00||11:00|
In addition to the modules you take as part of your MSc programme, the School also provides the following courses to help you build upon your professional skills. These courses are not intended to provide academic credit towards your MSc. We run programmes as Amplify Trading, C++, VBA, Matlab, Financial Trading Programme, Applied Portfolio Management, and Python for Finance, Trading and Investing.
Read more about it here.
Induction Programme Details
- Programme Welcome Talk will be held on either Monday 18th September or Tuesday 19th September depending on the Group allocated. The talk will cover information regarding the pre-sessional programme, module registration, the School handbook and facilities available to students.
- Induction Week begins Monday 17th Sept – Friday 21st Sept 2017 (Week 0) and continues from Monday 24th September – 28th September 2018 (Week 1). During this time you will be covering more than a few welcome talk, social events, pre-sessional lectures and classes.
- Teaching of modules at School of Economics and Finance (SEF) begin Monday 1st October 2018 (Week 2). The teaching timetable 2018-19 will be made available during induction week.
- Enrolment is the process of officially registering with the University, and it is compulsory that you do this during your first week at the College. SEF enrolment slot is on Wednesday 19th September. A full schedule will be published here at a later stage.
- Directions to the campus can be found through the Campus Map.
- International / EU Student Welcome Programme is run by Queen Mary University. A full schedule will be published here at a later stage.
- Events for all students such as tours of the local area, boat party, London bus tours. A full schedule will be published here at a later stage.
- Welcome and orientation events: There are a range of different events on offer to introduce you to the campus, the local area and London. Tickets for all events can be purchased via our e-shop.
- Theatre and Tour Tickets: See these critically acclaimed shows at specially discounted rates just for you. Buy the tickets now as these will sell out fast!
|Theatre/Tour Name||Date||Stat time||Location||Price|
|Wicked||Monday 24th September||19:30||Apollo Victoria Theatre||£20|
|Phantom of the Opera||Tuesday 25th September||19:30||Her Majesty Theatre||£15|
|The Lion King||Wednesday 26th September||19:30||Lychem Theatre||£20|
|London Finance Tour||Monday 24th September||14:00||Panyer Alley||£10|
- SEF Newsletter: The School publishes a newsletter periodically that highlights the student, staff and research activities over the academic year. You can view each issue of the newsletter in PDF format.
Queen Mary Alumni e-Newsletter – Click here.
- And many more on the QMSU website.
The schools welcome activities will provide you with information about:
- The pre-sessional maths and stats support lectures and classes
- Specialised IT facilities in the school
- Careers support and advice to help you plan your career
- Information about resources in QMUL Mile End library
- Help with English and academic writing from The Language Centre (support is available for all students not just international students)
- QMUL Student Union
SEF’s dedicated Career Consultant, will run a session to let you know about the special events, workshops, help and support available for your career planning. These sessions are included in the pre-sessional timetable.
Find out about our Careers team.
There are special Microsoft Excel sessions that will be conducted. These sessions will give you an insight of how to use macro and formulae for academic purpose. Due to limited space these will run on a first come first serve basis.
Queen Mary University of London MSc Investment Fund (QUMMIF) is a student-managed investment fund that currently has responsibility for over £30,000 of investments!
It is one of the only investment clubs of its kind in London, established for postgraduate students interested in obtaining relevant, practical work experience in trading and portfolio analysis.
qNomics provides financial guidance and resources to technology start-ups and entrepreneurs. Read more about it here.
Pre-sessional Maths and Statistic classes begin on the Monday 17th September and lasts for two weeks. There is no examination at the end of this period but it will help us to identify students that may require extra support in these areas.
A full schedule with further instructions and syllabus will be published here at a later stage.
It is very important that you attend the pre-sessional lectures and classes.
To follow last year lectures, please click on the links below:
MSc Banking and Finance, Business Finance, Behavioural Finance, Investment and Finance, Investment Banking and Wealth Management
MSc Finance, Economics and Finance & Econometrics
The school will be providing access to e-books for compulsory modules and we will be updating the reading lists here.
Do make sure that Like, Follow, Comment and Network
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact the School:
Richa Dave | Postgraduate Student Support Manager | School of Economics and Finance
Queen Mary University of London | Mile End Road | London E1 4NS | United Kingdom
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Telephone: +44 20 7882 8849