Room number: CB304
Fax: +44 20 8983 3580
Research grouping: On sabbatical
Research keywords: Macroeconomics, Applied Econometrics and Empirical Finance
Marika's main interest is macroeconomic modelling. The analysis of dynamic macro-labour models with spillover effects, the evaluation of the inflation-unemployment tradeoff, and the identification of the factors which jointly drive these central macro variables are the focal points of her research. The theoretical and empirical models of her work draw a new line of research and her results challenge the macroeconomic consensus on two major fronts: (i) the interplay of dynamics and growth in labour market models questions the prevailing wisdom of the natural rate of unemployment, and (ii) the existence of a downward-sloping Phillips curve points against the classical dichotomy doctrine.
In parallel, an assessment of the market economy and the current crisis is put forward in the thesis of "Warrant Economics, Call-Put Policy Options and the Fallacies of Economic Theory". It is explained how Call-Put policy options unwind to a double-sided options trade: a `heads-I-win, tails-you-loose' corporatist strategy. The Eurozone malaise is also examined under the Warrant Economics prism.
- "Spanish Regional Unemployment Revisited: The Role of Capital Accumulation", with R. Bande, Regional Studies, 2013, DOI: 10.1080/00343404.2013.779657
- "The Natural Rate of Unemployment Hypothesis and the Evolution of Regional Disparities in Spanish Unemployment", with R. Bande, Urban Studies, 2013, DOI: 10.1177/0042098013477695
- "Inequalities and Employment Sensitivities to the Falling Labour Share", with H. Sala, The Economic and Social Review, 2012, 43, 343-376.
- "Productivity Growth and the Phillips Curve: A Reassessment of the US Experience", with H. Sala, Bulletin of Economic Research, 2012, 64, 344-366.
- "Phillips Curves and Unemployment Dynamics: A Critique and a Holistic Perspective", with H. Sala and D. J. Snower, Journal of Economic Surveys, 2010, 24, 1-51.
- "The US Inflation-Unemployment Tradeoff Revisited: New Evidence for Policy Making", with H. Sala, Journal of Policy Modeling, 2010, 32, 758-777.
- "Labour Market Dynamics in Australia: What Drives Unemployment?", with H. Sala, Economic Record, 2010, 86, 185-209.
- "The Rise and Fall of Spanish Unemployment: A Chain Reaction Theory Perspective", with H. Sala, International Papers in Political Economy, 2009, ch. 6, 209-254, Palgrave-Macmillan.
- "Labour Market Flexibility and Regional Unemployment Rate Dynamics: Spain 1980-1995", with R. Bande, Papers in Regional Science, 2009, 88, 181-207.
- "Capital Accumulation and Unemployment: New Insights on the Nordic Experience", with H.Sala and P. F. Salvador, Cambridge Journal of Economics, 2008, 32, 977-1001.
- "The Evolution of Inflation and Unemployment: Explaining the Roaring Nineties", with H. Sala and D. J. Snower, Australian Economic Papers, 2008, vol. 47 (4), 47, 334-354.
- "Long-Run Inflation-Unemployment Dynamics: The Spanish Phillips Curve and Economic Policy", with H. Sala and D. J. Snower, Journal of Policy Modeling, 2008, 30, 279-300.
- "The (Ir)relevance of the NRU for Policy Making: The Case of Denmark", with H.Sala and P. F. Salvador, Scottish Journal of Political Economy, 2008, 55, 369-392.
- "The Macroeconomics of the Labor Market: Three Fundamental Views", with H. Sala and D. J. Snower, Portuguese Economic Journal, 2007, 6, 151-180.
- "A Reappraisal of the Inflation-Unemployment Tradeoff", with H. Sala and D. J. Snower, European Journal of Political Economy, 2005, 21, 1-32.
- "Unemployment Invariance ", with D. J. Snower, German Economic Review, 2004, 5, 297-317.
- "Permanent and Transitory Components in a Continuous Time Model of the Term Structure", with J. Hatgioannides and M. Karanasos, WSEAS Transactions on Business and Economics, 2004, 1, 176-181.
- "Analyzing US Inflation by a GARCH model with Simultaneous Feedback", with M. Karanasos and S. Fountas, WSEAS Transactions on Information Science and Applications, 2004, 1, 767-772.
- "The European Phillips Curve: Does the NAIRU Exist?, with H. Sala and D. J. Snower, Applied Economics Quarterly, 2003, 49, 93-122.
- "Unemployment in the European Union: A Dynamic Reappraisal", with H. Sala and D. J. Snower, Economic Modelling, 2003, 20, 237-273.
- "Adjustment Dynamics and the Natural Rate: An Account of the UK Unemployment", with S.G.B. Henry and D. J. Snower, Oxford Economic Papers, 2000, 52, 178-203.
- "How Labour Market Flexibility Affects Unemployment: Long-Term Implications of the Chain Reaction Theory", with D. J. Snower, Economic Journal, 1998, 108, 832-849.
- "Is the Natural Rate a Reference Point?", with D. J. Snower, European Economic Review, 1997, 41, 559-569.
- "Explaining Disparities in Unemployment Dynamics", with D. J. Snower, 1996, in Baldassari M., L. Paganetto, and E.S. Phelps (Eds), The 1990's Slump: Causes and Cures, Macmillan Press and Rivista di Politica Economica.
- "The U.K. Labour Market", with S.G.B. Henry, 1996, in S.G.B. Henry and D. J. Snower (Eds), Economic Policies and Unemployment Dynamics in Europe, International Monetary Fund Publications.